The original pocket knife designed by Joseph Opinel in the most popular size No 8 with a stainless steel blade.Â A highly versatile pocket knife, ideal for camping, bushcraft, sewing and other DIY and outdoorÂ activities.Â Wood engraving is a traditional activity in the Alps and the collections of engraved knives pay homage to this tradition with designsÂ inspired by nature.Â One collection is dedicated to the animals found in France and the other is dedicated to the outdoor activitiesÂ commonly enjoyedÂ with a special connection to the French mountains, the homelands of the Opinel family.
Dimensions: Blade length:Â 8.5 cm
- Blade is made fromÂ Sandvik 12C27 modified stainless steel
- Anti-corrosive due to added chrome and requires no special maintenance
- Carbon content of at least 0.40% givesÂ the blade an excellend cutting edge
- TheÂ Virobloc safety ring is fitted to all folding knives from the NÂ° 06
- Cut out of stainless steel, the Virobloc has two sections, one fixed and one sliding
- The safety ring can lock the blade open or shut
- The handle (trout and hare) is made ofÂ French oak
- Oak is a hard wood which is very resistant and has a yellow-brown appearance, with regular veining
- The cyclist engraved handle is made from French beech wood
- Beech wood has a light color which varies from yellow to pinkÂ and is characterised byÂ numerous small dark dashes.
The Opinel knife was founded in 1890 in Chambery in the Savoie region of France by Joseph Opinel, who designed and created the first Opinel knife.Â The design was created with the ideals of good sense, a feeling of comfort when gripped and the convenience of being able to carry it in your pocket.Â The company is still run and owned by Joseph Opinel's descendents and has grown to employ around 100 people.Â The Opinel knife isÂ a popular everyday item whose aesthetics and functionality have won over generations of users. It has remained unchanged for over a century, with a design that is one of the most successful of all time. For this reason, Opinel was recognised by the Victoria and Albert Museum in 1985 as one of the 100 best designed items in the world, right alongside the Porsche 911 and the Rolex watch.Â And in 2006 a jury of international designers acknowledged it as one of the 999 most succesful designs of all time in the "Phaidon Design Classics".
"p>The original pocket knife d